Monday, June 11, 2012

Roasts, Blankets, Cuddles Oh My!


Well, winter is here. The chilly nights with fluffy socks, fluffy bath robes and fluffy beasts curling up for cuddles has arrived. Scott thinks I am wimp. I may be in QLD and it may only hit 10 degrees but I'm a FNQ Girl and its cold! This is a post of some of the wintry things I enjoy.


Blankets, blankets, blankets. I love snuggling into a blanket with a nice cup of tea and a book. So many blankets to choose from, so little time. I have discovered that the little beasts like my tiger blanket the best. Though I love snuggling into my pink and purple afghan made for me by Scott's mum, Ellen. She even made a matching blanket for my beautiful Delenn. Which of course all the kitties fight over. Kitty blanket wars are cute.






Fluffy pink bath robe! Although, I do have a small problem when wearing it. This problem sometimes knocks over my work or wakes me up or makes me miss a stitch or makes me loose my place in a book or loose the entire book. Lucky he is fluffy too.



Soup, pasta, slow cooked anything and roasted meat. If you need a quick pick me up for soup and you don't have time yourself I would recommend the Woolworths brand. I love their Asian Style Sweet Corn and Chicken Soup. Mmmmm...



Here is my favourite quick tasty roast dinner. I do roast differently each time, it depends on how over the day I am, if I want to make everything from scratch, how many cats am I fending off and really how coordinated I am that day. It is a mixture of random recipes and whatever worked for me. I hope you enjoy as much as I do because this is what I did tonight and it was yummy.

Lisa's Random Roast Beef with Mash Potato, Peas Roast Sweet Potato and Corn


Rubbing Oil (I do this the night before)
1 cup of olive oil
2 tblsp of crushed garlic
Pepper to taste.

Place all ingredients in  bowl and leave to infuse over night.

Ingredients
1kg of Blade Roast
Rubbing Oil
Olive oil spray
5 large potatoes (Peeled and cut into eighths)
2 large cobs of corn
1 sweet potato cubed into 2cm pieces
1 cup of peas (I only eat them in this house)
1/2 cup Milk (to taste for mash potatoes)
2 tbsp Butter (to taste for mash potatoes)
Gravy

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius
2. Rub over oil, garlic and pepper mixture. Place in oven for 65 mins (I like mine medium so for every 450g I cook for 25 mins)
4. With 25 mins left boil large pot of water and add potatoes for mash potatoes.
3. With 20 mins to go place sweet potato on a tray and spray with oil, play in oven to roast.
4. 15 mins left boil water in a medium sauce pan, add corn and peas and cook for 8 mins.
5. Take out meat leave to sit for 10 mins.
7. Take off potatoes add milk and butter, mash.
 8. Place vegetables out onto plate and slice beef thinly.
9. Serve with gravy, I usually make it from what is left over in the pan (or if not enough time use a packet mix).

Happy winter all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment