Thursday, September 15, 2011

Memories- of sweetened condensed milk

So I was lucky enough to come by an amazing recpice book that was given to me by a friend. Their is only one problem/awesome thing. The main ingredient for the entire book is Condensed Milk. It was designed by Nestle to celebrate 100 years of their product. OMG the recipes in here make my mouth water. The official title is '100 years of Sweet Baking Memories' A Collection of Australia's favourite Sweetned Condensed Milk recpices. *Drool* I think I will just start at page 1 and make each recipe. One of them is precisely the recipe I got from my grandma, I wrote it into my cooking notebook when I was 6. So here it is 6 year old me's favourite recipe.


Coconut Ice

Prep: 10 mins (plus refrigeration time)
Makes: 16 pieces

Ingredients:
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Can of sweetened condensed milk (359g)
6 drops of red food colouring

Method
1. Grease and line a 30x20cm rectangular slice pan with baking paper.
2. Combine sugar and cream of tartar in a bowl. Add sweetened condensed milk and coconut, stir well. Place half the mixture in a seperate bowl. Add food colouring to one bowl and stir well until combined. Press uncoloured mixture into base of pan, level well, then top with pink mixture, pressing firmly.
3. Refrigerate for two hours or until set. Cut into squares and serve.



I have a memory of one of the first times I ate this. I was really little and dressed up as a fairy with massive wings (I am sure now I would think they were itty bitty) and the mum who brought us the food said, "here don't forget your fairy snacks, they match your costumes." We were all so excited and then on a massive sugar high running through the park with all the pink and white flowers around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment