Saturday, July 28, 2012

Strawberry Pie, so simple!

I adore strawberries! Punnets, punnets and punnets of strawberries. In QLD at the moment they are in season and smelling amazing. I have had 4 punnets in the fridge ALL day and not had a single one. I wanted to save them for a Strawberry Pie. This recipe was nothing like what I was expecting, but it is so simple and amazing. Plus, I made sure I had extra strawberry and warm syrup left over so I could have half a bowl of the mixture warmed. YUMMY! 

Soak your strawberries

If you love strawberries have a go because this is such a refreshing dessert. I received this recipe from a partner in a swap on Swapbot. She also sent me a surprising hint when using strawberries in cooking. You need to soak your strawberries for at least an hour before use in cooking. I usually just wash it under the tap and then go but, it makes a different to the flavour. The strawberries absorb some moisture and it throughly cleans them. I will be doing this from now on.

Strawberry Pie
Ingredients:

Baked and cooled sweet pie crust (you can make your own or buy pre done)
3 punnets strawberry
1 cup of water
1 cup of of sugar
2 tbsp of cornflour
1/3 cup strawberry jelly crystals  (jello)

Methods:
1. Ensure you cook your sweet pie crust so it is browned. Set aside to cool.
2. Slice strawberries (you can use whole if you wish but I find more flavour when sliced) and set aside.
3. Mix sugar and cornstarch.
4. Place water in sauce pan and begin to heat. Add sugar/cornflour mixture until softly boiled. It will start off cloudy and then become clearer consistency.

5. Once clearer stir through jelly crystals (jello) until all dissolved. Take off stove top and cool. 


6. Place strawberries into pie crust.


7. Pour over jelly mixture and place in fridge overnight. 


8. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. So glossy.


No comments:

Post a Comment